Posted: March 1, 2021
Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU) is a grassroots non-profit organization that supports peer-learning communities in public spaces like libraries around the world. We focus on a pedagogical model we call learning circles: lightly-facilitated study groups that meet regularly to work through open-access learning resources. These groups have traditionally been held face-to-face in public spaces like libraries but have expanded to meeting online during the pandemic.
Our organization has relied on grant and project funding to grow our offerings and global community. In 2021, we are transitioning our financial model towards a mix of consulting work and library memberships in order to focus our attention on building a robust and widely-accessible pedagogy.
What we’re looking for
To that end, P2PU is pursuing a full refresh of our marketing website—distinct from our authenticated software tools—that can present a clear definition of learning circles, our organization’s services, and pipelines for different stakeholders to engage with our systems. We’re happy with our current branding and tone and are looking to design/develop within those constraints, though we’re open to feedback or evolutions!
We’re looking to hire an individual or small group who can support a full design process from strategy to wireframing to implementation. While our focus is on the immediate project, we’re also open to building a long-term working relationship with the right candidate.
You can be based anywhere in the world so long as you can meet between 12:00-15:00 UTC. We hope to start this project in mid-March and launch the updated website in May 2021. Your primary contact will be the Production Lead, with input from the rest of our 4-person team.
Strategy – Collaborate with the P2PU team to:
- Clearly communicate the organization’s vision and value propositions
- Articulate clear strategies to explain the learning circle model, its community, and its free offerings (tools, community, events)
- Outline user journeys and calls-to-action for 3 primary user groups (learners, facilitators, and organizers)
- Organize informational resources into intuitive locations and hierarchies
- Reorganize the site map, condensing as necessary, to optimize for clear onboarding and minimize friction for end users
Design – Lead the redesign process to produce a website that is:
- Intuitive and useful for first-time and returning visitors
- Accessible to ESOL and international visitors (we aspire to offer multiple translations of our website and tools eventually but are not currently at a scale where we can support it, so we use a mix of clear language and pictorial representation when possible)
- Communicated through low- or medium-fidelity wireframes
Implementation – Collaborate with the Tech Lead to build and launch final website that is:
- Mobile-responsive and accessible to low-bandwidth visitors
- Compatible with P2PU’s existing technical systems
Our team has been deeply focused on this work for years which we know can make it hard to see it with fresh eyes. While we have lots of opinions and thoughts to share, we’re ultimately interested in your strategic input, both of the above process and effective outcomes. We’d love to hear how you’d tackle this project!
Who we’re looking for
Ideal candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Reliable project management experience and skills
- Strong understanding and experience with accessible and low-bandwidth web design/implementation (including mobile support)
- Experience or strong interest in designing for non-profit organizations and the field of learning/education
- Comfort making low- and medium-fidelity wireframes using Figma (or similar tools)
- Experience working with Bootstrap or similar CSS frameworks
- Familiarity with GitHub for version control
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with “P2PU.org Redesign Project” in the subject line. We’re interested in your relevant experience, work examples, your pricing structure/rates, and any other information you can share about why you’re the right fit for this project. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled.