Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU) is a U.S.-based non-profit organization that supports peer learning around the world through a model we call learning circles: study groups that meet in public spaces to work through free educational materials together. We are a small team with staff in Berlin, Cape Town, Detroit, and Phoenix.
Our role supporting learning circles is multifaceted: we build open source software for managing meetings, we train groups to facilitate learning circles, we maintain an online community for facilitators, and we develop and curate open educational resources. In late 2021, we’re launching two exciting new initiatives: an institutional membership program for library systems (“Teams”) and a pilot for credit-bearing learning circles in partnership with College Unbound.
We are searching for a Community Coordinator with a background in community experience and customer support to oversee our existing virtual community, help support our new initiatives, and define a meaningful overlap between the two. To start, the community coordinator role will be a 4 day/week contract position (32 hours/week; ideally Monday-Thursday) for one year with the hope and intent to extend. You can be based anywhere so long as your working day overlaps with 9–12PM Eastern US time. Salary starts at USD $40,000.
- Manage asynchronous support channels (forums, email, social media) to answer questions and orient new community members (approx. 5–10 inquiries/week)
- Contribute to ongoing maintenance of P2PU’s user-facing documentation and community-curated course library
- Collaborate with Production Lead to document community stories and insights across public news channels (newsletters, blog posts, social media)
- Collaborate with team to coordinate and host regular community events (monthly calls, yearly gatherings)
- Run at least 1 learning circle per year to gain experience with the model, test P2PU’s software tools, and explore new learning materials
- Work with Partnerships Lead to build Teams relationships through onboarding, facilitation training, 1:1 support hours, and quarterly check-in calls
- Shape the presentation and offerings of the library membership program by documenting success stories and collecting member feedback on desired updates to learning materials, software features, and support systems
- Coordinate with partners at College Unbound to support students participating in learning circles for academic credit
- Strong communication skills in English (both verbal and written) across a variety of mediums and audiences (including those with limited English or digital literacy). Communication skills in other languages are a plus!
- Comfortable using or learning Google Suite, Gitbook, Discourse, Mailchimp, Wordpress, and Github. (A basic understanding of writing Markdown will come in handy too.)
- Systems thinker who instinctually considers how everything we do contributes to the bigger picture.
- Intellectually curious and deeply passionate about challenging the hegemony of formal education through community-based learning. Desire to learn new things about both technology and education.
- Organized self-starter able to set and meet deadlines, proactively communicate, and create or improve internal processes when needed.
- Comfortable working in a distributed/online setting with colleagues across a 9-hour time zone range and able to travel globally up to 4 weeks/year (when it’s safe to do so).
Please send a resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Coordinator” in the subject line by September 20, 2021. In your cover letter, please let us know how this work aligns with your personal and professional interests and why you are well suited for the job.
P2PU does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.